What Size Do You Need?
Housings Are Universal
Filter housings provide a "home" for your water filter. They also provide an inlet and outlet for a water line. Housings will typically have a threaded female connection on either side that match standard male threaded plumbing fittings. You can choose the type of connection to make - using anything from traditional copper to quick disconnect fittings.
See the list on the right - pick the connection size that is right for you.
- 1/4" OD - Often used for RO Systems, fridge and ice machine connections - essentially a single point-of-use location
- 3/8" - OD - Normally the size of your undersink cold water supply line - used for RO and drinking water systems - provides better water pressure than 1/4" and is being used more often with new appliances and systems
- 1/2" OD - Used for point-of-use applications where there are multiple fixtures
- 3/4" OD - Whole house systems
- 1" OD -Used for large whole house systems and systems with multiple housings
Common Housing Terms:
- NPT - this stands for National Pipe Thread and describes a uniform standard for tapered threads used to join pipes and fittings
- Integral Bracket - some housings have "keyhole" mounting holes molded into the cap, which means no additional mounting bracket is needed to attach the housing to the wall
- Pressure Relief - if you see a red "button" on the top of the housing - is probably for pressure relief. The button is pushed to relieve line pressure before changing the filter
- Monitored Housings - these housings come with integrated pressure gauge that indicates when it's time to change the filter
- Valve-In-Head Housings - these housings have an integral valve that closes both inlet and outlet ports simutaneously, making cartridge changeouts quick and easy
- "Big Blue" - this term refers to heavy-duty housings that accomodate 4.5" filters - big blue housings can be 5", 10" or 20" in length and are noticeably "fatter" than standard housings and are usually used for point of entry (whole house) applications
- Slim Line - these housings are normally used for point-of-use applications and take up less space than standard housings